Montreal
Friends have asked recently for recommendations of places to go in Montreal. Instead of searching for my various lists, I figured I'd return to the blogging format. All my hyperlinks are in a new window.
I am the type of traveler who finds a place I like and then go back again and again. That is to say, you won't see a ton of variety for restaurants, cafes, and places to see, but you will see all of my favorites. If a place has been around for awhile, you can't go wrong, I'm sure. I'll note when each location is in walking distance in miles from the downtown McGill University campus (where two of my sons go to school), for point of reference. If you're someone who doesn't mind 20,000+ steps a day, that's how I define walkable. The metro is also very user friendly and when compared to other big cities, very safe. So, here we go:
Restaurants (and places near the restaurants) -
Cafe Santropol is a very healthy option with a fantastic back patio. My favorite vegetarian option (I'm not vegetarian) is the Duluth sandwich. It's not terribly pricey and they also serve some pastries, shakes, and coffee/espresso beverages. It's delightful. 1 mile.
Crew Collective & Cafe is in what looks to be an old bank building. Very majestic and the ambiance is perfect. It's within a couple blocks of Notre Dame which within a couple blocks of Chinatown which is within a couple blocks of Old Town which is within a couple blocks of the waterfront. All are must see and all are easily done in a morning or afternoon depending how you travel. That is, if you linger, it will take longer, if you just walk through, it will take less time. 1.5-2 miles.
La Banquise may not be the best poutine in town (all subjective), but location-wise it's great as it's next to the very large La Fontaine Park. Travel via metro or car or Uber. Via metro, you still will have to walk a half a mile.
Bar Caffettiera is a little Italian espresso joint within two blocks of the McGill campus. Bold blend. some pastries, sandwiches, etc. Mainly just eclectic. Two blocks.
Restaurant LE 1881 for French cuisine. My friend Rory recommends this place for breakfast or dinner. It's right downtown so I would say reasonably priced for the location. 2 blocks
Pizza 900 is decent pizza. 2 blocks
Places -
Mount Royal is within three blocks to the base going uphill from the McGill campus. The climb can be long and gradual on a wide shaded path, or direct up stairs with some huffing and puffing. After you get your pictures up top, you can walk for a long time behind where you will find a cemetery and a lovely little pond. I think you can rent rowboats in the right season. There's a huge building up on top with food and drink and souvenirs.
Le Plateau neighborhood for shopping and wandering. Enjoy the architecture. Enjoy the restaurants. Spend a whole afternoon or more there. And if you want to try Montreal smoked meat, I think it best to try it on poutine at Schwartz's Deli. You may find that it gets crowded, but that's part of the experience. Wander about and sit around the fountain in Saint-Louis Square for a very European feel. 1.5-3 miles.
Redpath Museum on the campus of McGill University is a quick, free little natural history museum. Great if you're in the area. No air conditioning, so if it's summer you may not want to stay long. But did I mention the cost?
Montreal Museum of Fine Arts is three blocks from the campus.
Jean Talon Market is a nice outdoor market with a bunch of vendors and some restaurants. If you're familiar with the West Side Market in Cleveland or Pike's Place in Seattle, that kind of place. Around the outskirts are other good bakeries, etc. Travel via Uber or metro. The metro goes directly there.
Mache Floh is a great little vintage clothing shop in a couple locations, one just a few blocks from McGill University.
L'Express is great for an eclectic, French, reasonably priced for fancy meal in the Plateau neighborhood. Probably Uber.
Bagels -
These get a category of their own. Montreal style is better than New York style. I know, because I've had Montreal style and I've never had New York style. :)
St-Viateur Bagels have a few locations. It's my favorite at the 263 Rue St. Viateur W., location in the Mile End neighborhood just beyond the Le Plateau neighborhood. Probably Uber. For these bagels or the comparable (and nearby) Fairmount Bagels, might I suggest getting the sesame seed bagels fresh out of the wood stove and tearing into them and dipping in cream cheese (without double dipping, of course). Sure, you may want to try other favorite styles. Go ahead, but the sesame seed are top shelf. Speaking of shelf, don't store them on a shelf. Store them in a freezer or treat them like manna from heaven and just eat them right away. They are to be eaten fresh.
La Fabrique de Bagels has good bagels, drinks and bagel sandwiches. I don't think they compare to the other two, but they're definitely good if you want a fresh meal.
There's plenty more to do and see and eat (understatement!) in Montreal, but hopefully this gets you started.
Comments
Post a Comment